So my duvet cover became a skirt!   It is a wrap-around reversible skirt from this tutorial. Though to be honest I did struggle a bit with the instructions, as there wasn’t quite enough detail for me. For example, the back panels should have been cut out to be mirror images of each other rather than identical (which wasn’t explained in the tutorial) This meant when they were placed right sides together to sew up, the panels didn’t match exactly. When I realised this, I nearly gave up but I carried on and bodged my way through.  I also changed the ribbon on the tie for a fabric waistband, which I made out of the inside contrasting fabric. I quite enjoyed doing this last bit, as it was just me working out what to do next rather than having to keep going back to look at instructions. I guess that’s what comes with a bit of sewing experience!  It’s not perfect – but I’m rather pleased with it.

Finally..a bag for me! Another in the roll up shopping bag collection. I’ve been itching to use this Alexander Henry fabric I bought from America a while ago. Its a gorgeous colour and I love the birds. The handles are made from some pyjama bottoms of mine, which developed a hole in the leg. The fabric was usable but rather thin in places so I bolstered it up with a bit of cotton batting. It seems a shame to roll this up and put it in my handbag – I think it may actually become my handbag for the summer!

Just found this lovey floral St. Michael duvet cover in the kidney shop (my granny’s name for it). I’m really pleased because i saw a cute reversible skirt pattern I wanted to sew but didn’t want to spend lots of money on fabric to make it… This was only £1.99!

I am happy to say that after the sewing misery that was my Milkmaid skirt, I was feeling a little disheartened to say the least.

So after a week or so in recovery, I whipped up this little beauty. It’s a very simple folding shopper– the elastic at the top means it can be rolled up and popped in your handbag for those moments when the cashier says ‘Would you like a bag?’. No I have one I made myself!!! 

It’s a fantastic little tutorial, very well written and very simple to make. I made it in an evening (even with lots of online distractions!). A great little project for a beginner. The main fabric was some that Mary Emmens picked up for me at Ikea and the handles are Caitlin Stripe in green from Contemporary cloth. I will be making more!

and even worse – a bit chunk of my ‘vintage’ bias binding frayed and fell off. Also the skirt fabric frayed really badly too – making it impossible to re-attach the binding.  I have learnt some lessons doing this:

  • Make your fabric choices carefully – my friends chose lightweight cotton for their skirts, which worked far better.
  • Wash your fabric before making any clothing.
  • Vintage fabric may be fragile – esp when teamed with a very robust fabric like cord.
  • Over-locking my corduroy before making this may have meant less fraying and I could have repaired it.  

Thankfully the enjoyment of making this with my friends far outweighs the disaster it has become. I’m glad it wasn’t something I spent a lonely weekend slaving over!

So here is my finished Milkmaid skirt for Ellen. It was great fun to make this with two of my friends. It initially turned out really well, apart from the slightly bunchy waistband (corduroy was a bit thick). Ellen sewed on the button herself. But then I decided to wash it and it all went down hill from then on…..