A while ago I mentioned I was sewing together some of mums long-ago-made hexagons to make a birthday gift for her. Here’s what I made;
It was made from my imagination so did involve a bit of experimentation. I appliquéd on the hexie flowers by top stitching around the flowers. It looked fine but next time I might use invisible thread so they look more integrated into the cushion top.
After a bit of input from my sewing friends on Instagram I decided to try some spiral quilting over the flowers. I used Kerry’s tutorial to get me started and found it really quite easy (not to mention therapeutic). Next time I will try a tighter spiral as I think this would look even better.
Then using various online tutorials I tackled piping and an invisible zip. Phew, that was all quite tricky. It turned out fine with some fiddling. I did end up binding all the inside seams to hide the carnage!
So here’s my mum at her birthday lunch with her cushion. Needless to say she loved it and could tell a story about each scrap of fabric in the hexie flowers.