Falling off the Wagon in Style.

About a month ago after a fabric-buying blow out, I felt I needed to cleanse my overindulgent side and pledged to join fabriholics anonymous a group of sewists and bloggers who are fasting from fabric purchases.

So now it’s confession time. My husband has just returned from a work trip to New York and mentioned before he left (knowing full-well that I was fasting, naughty!) that he’d have time to pick up some fabric for me.

The opportunity to buy so cheaply from the USA, shipping & customs-free was too good to pass up!

I found this great little etsy shop called Pins & Needles

20140220-081028.jpg

20140220-081046.jpg
They very kindly organised a custom listing for me and my husband just went and picked up the big bag of gorgeousness! He also bought me a beautiful Japanese dressmaking book and the ladies at PIns & Needles put in a little bundle of surprise fat quarters.

20140220-081304.jpg

20140220-081318.jpg

I did think about putting it all away until July in an attempt to redeem myself but I think it’s a bit late for that!

I still hold true to my pledge to use what I have from my stash and I won’t be going out of my way to buy fabric for any specific projects unless I can use what I have. I just have a bit more to choose from now!

The Forth

My low volume quilt is finished. My 4th ever quilt but a first in lots of ways.
First time I have crated my own layout (apart from the blocks); First time using 80/20 batting; first time doing mitred borders; first pieced backing; first time doing curvy quilting; first time hand stitching on the binding.

It’s been lots of experimental fun and I totally love it! The sun came out today so I whipped outside for some photos. I only got a few before a big black cloud rolled back over . It’s now having the crinkle treatment in the washing machine.

20140211-160322.jpg
20140211-160605.jpg
20140211-160631.jpg
20140211-160839.jpg

20140211-160854.jpg

20140211-160908.jpg

Quietly Quilting

I am enjoying making some good progress on my low volume quilt. It’s the first time I’ve put together a quilt top layout myself and not followed a pattern or tutorial. Though what I ended up with didn’t always match the plan in my head. Like having to re-attach more sashing so I could do mitred borders. I wasn’t hugely annoyed about this as I was happy that the process was teaching me lots rather than the result being perfect. This is the finished quilt top:

20140204-082859.jpg
I was planning for it to be a bit bigger but when I added more borders it just looked too much, so I’ve gone for a slightly useless size!

I had some trouble when I starred quilting. Lots of puckers and scrunching up. I unpicked about a mile of stitching and re-basted it.

20140204-083323.jpg
It was much better after that but I concluded it was a combination of things:

Getting used to my new machines walking foot, which doesn’t like going fast at all. Going fast results in really uneven stitches. A thicker-fluffier batting than I’ve used before, which had a tendency to scrunch up. I solved this by lowering the feed dogs a notch but then this made it harder to control the quilt.

As my husband said: it wouldn’t be a proper quilt without a bit if heartache!

The rest of it has been great and I’ve really enjoyed seeing the cosy quilt texture appear. It’s a magical transformation; my favourite bit! I’ve even tried out some wavy quilting.

20140204-084156.jpg
Some finished photos soon I hope or when the sun finally comes out!