I am enjoying making some good progress on my low volume quilt. It’s the first time I’ve put together a quilt top layout myself and not followed a pattern or tutorial. Though what I ended up with didn’t always match the plan in my head. Like having to re-attach more sashing so I could do mitred borders. I wasn’t hugely annoyed about this as I was happy that the process was teaching me lots rather than the result being perfect. This is the finished quilt top:
I had some trouble when I starred quilting. Lots of puckers and scrunching up. I unpicked about a mile of stitching and re-basted it.
Getting used to my new machines walking foot, which doesn’t like going fast at all. Going fast results in really uneven stitches. A thicker-fluffier batting than I’ve used before, which had a tendency to scrunch up. I solved this by lowering the feed dogs a notch but then this made it harder to control the quilt.
As my husband said: it wouldn’t be a proper quilt without a bit if heartache!
The rest of it has been great and I’ve really enjoyed seeing the cosy quilt texture appear. It’s a magical transformation; my favourite bit! I’ve even tried out some wavy quilting.