March has been a good sewing month and started with a fabulous sewing weekend away. During the weekend I made a lot of these for a secret quilt project. Today I sat down and finished a whole load more. I now have about 240 of them and worked out I still need to make another 100 to get enough for a large quilt. Back to the cutting mat.
another make (and finish) was my table runner
Other projects this month have been a birthday gift for my friend Susy. This is the unfinished version. The finished version (which I forgot to photograph) was nicely framed in an embroidery hoop. It’s is for her new sewing room. I really enjoyed making it and I’m definitely going to do more paper pieced hoop pictures.
I also whipped up a few infinity scarves from some free fabric from the Sewing Directory Exeter meet up at the start of the month. It was very light cotton (not sure of the proper name) so no good for quilting. They are super easy to make and I ended up with so many I gave a couple to the other two sewing weekend ladies Emily and Mary.
I didn’t think I’d made much this month as life as been busy with work, college and kids. There are still have a few days to go but it’s 9th birthday weekend in our house! I hope you’ve had a fun and productive month.
When I went a away on my sewing weekend, I decided to make a covering for our living room coffee table. It’s an ancient Ikea table that has seen a lot of action and to be honest needs covering up! Its quite big so it usually just ends up covered in junk.
During the Great UK Fabric De-stash, I bought bag of precut charms. I was delighted to find the bag contained about one third Kokka Japanese linen. They are absolutely divine.
I trimmed as little as I could to turn the charm squares into tumbler shapes.
I added a border of Essex linen The backing is some dusky pink linen I bought from my local fabric shop. Its the perfect match in its muted-ness (is that a word!?)
My husband suggested a dark blue binding to complement the Essex linen. He’s good with colour my husband!
So here it is in situ and out in the garden – also being photo bombed by the cat!
I totally love how it turned out. The colours are just up my street!
After my quilt finish I needed a quick and easy one-evening make. I’d bought this lovely tea cup fabric in the online destash and it just screamed ‘make me into a tea cosy’!! So I did. I used a lovely simple pattern by Messy Jesse
It ended up a bit snug on my tea pot as my fabrics crept about a bit with quilting. I’d recommend cutting out your rectangles a bit bigger than you need then trimming down after quilting. I used Shards from Cut out and Keep for the binding and lining and I quilted it with a turquoise Aurifil thread.
I’ve been up to other sewing but also doing lots of prep for a sewing weekend away in a few days with my very favourite sewing buddies!
Oh and my tea pot collection, I think I need some more tea cosies!