During a dig through my fabric cupboard last week I came out in cold sweat when I realised I still hadn’t used some of the fabric yardage I bought back in October. I’d bought it with the intention of making a winter washi dress. (I made one in July and LOVED wearing it so much!)
As I was about to order more yardage ahead of my husband’s next trip to New York, I thought I’d better get on with it – while it was still winter!
Making something a second time is just dreamy – especially when it was a good fit the first time. I got this made in a day. I just had enough fabric for 3/4 length sleeves but not long ones as planned. I got this dress out of 2 yards of Denise Schmidt Chicopee – witch was an incredible £3.90 a yard when I was across the pond in October.
This time I left the neck scooped rather than notched. I did a lined bodice – as per the tutorial here which was really easy and gave a great finish.
I omitted the pockets (again – as with last time I ended up taking a good inch off the skirt on each side). The sleeves I used are the ones from the josephine pattern, as I felt the washi sleeves were a bit blousy for this fabric and again I didn’t have enough.
As with my previous dress it’s such a good fit and shape for me and it works really well with boots and a cardigan.
For a long time I’ve been wondering about getting a new roman blind in our dining room. The one there was wicker, heavy, ugly and kind of useless. I have a friend who makes roman blinds and after a bit of a chat about prices I decided that as a fairly capable sewist I really could and should make it myself.
After Christmas I noticed that Craftsy had a sale on some of their sewing classes, so I jumped at the chance and bought this roman blind course. It was a great help and very clear. I’m sure I could have got by with you tube clips and blog tutorials but as there are as many different ways to make a roman blind as there are to make a Christmas cakes, I felt I wanted a proper class. There is also a very help Q&A section with questions answered by the teacher herself and she’s very quick to respond, which is handy when you are in a panic!
The craftsy tutorial taught me the proper way to do it – with hand-sewn hems. I did stray from the instructions and add in rod pocket tape – which eliminates the need to hand sew all the rings on. I will use this again next time but now I know that you need to sew through to the front fabric too. With a big heavy blind it doesn’t fold up properly otherwise – so quite a lot of time was spent hand-tacking through to the front fabric as it was too late to get it under the sewing machine once the rods were in.
Beginners mistakes aside I’m thrilled with the results – it’s straight and it works!
I have lots more blinds that need making, so there may be further instalments to this adventure!
A note on fabric – I used a linen/cotton mix for this blind but it’s not the easiest fabric to work with. Next time I will go for a more crisp cotton which holds it’s shape more easily.