Beautiful Blocks

A few weeks back I saw on Instgram that Kerry was having a bit of a clear out and selling some fabric and past sewing projects. Amoungst this were 40 of the blocks she made for the ‘500 quilt blocks’ book. I jumped at the chance at buying them and instantly thought they would make a beautiful quilt.

When I started to arrange them I have to say I felt slightly daunted at the thought of making something with someone else’s (amazing) sewing and hoped I could do them justice. It was a bit of a jigsaw puzzle to get all the blocks to fit. I managed to use all but two. 

There is a big mix of colours and at first I felt it was all a bit busy putting together lots of blocks that were designed to have such individual style. A quickly finished quilt was my goal so I tried to ignore the purist in me.

Now that it’s all finished I love the mix of different blocks, it’s one of those quilts with so much to look at.

I used Lynne’s (who happens to be co-author of afore mentioned book) fast machine binding tutorial, it’s totally brilliant and works way better than anything i’ve tried in the past.

I made and had my binding sewn on front and back in 2 hours (that may not be fast for you but it was for me!)

So this quit is being donated to the fantastic siblings together charity, which you’ve probably heard about by now. There’s are photos here of some of the quilts that have been made and donated so far. It’s lovely to think about this quilt going to such a special owner, I’m sure it will be much loved. I’m struggling to think about parting with it now!

20140508-164203.jpg

20140508-164236.jpg

20140508-164354.jpg

Advertisements

Sewing for a Cause

Lately my sewing has involved lots of charity related projects. Dress a Girl Around the World back in June, where we made lots of dresses which went off to Malawi. A couple of weeks ago I attended the Sewing Directory meet up in Exeter, where we appliqued bags for charity. Here’s my decorated bag.

20130923-184121.jpg
Last week I met up with my sewing buddies Susy, Mary and Emily and we set about making some quit tops for Project Linus. We are meeting up again in a few weeks to baste and quit them.

The final little project I’ve been involved with is Siblings Together. At the Fat Quarterly Retreat in London back in July I saw loads of beautiful quilts being handed over to this project. While I didn’t feel able to commit to a whole quilt; Mary told me that Sarah was organising a quilt block drive. I said I ‘d make 4 blocks and here they are

20130923-185029.jpg

20130923-185129.jpg
Now, you will notice there are 5, that’s because the first one was about half an inch too small. After a hissy fit and vowing never to sew again (dramatic I know), I pulled myself together sorted out my seam allowances and made the rest. I went a bit off piste with my cutting on 3 of them and forgot the middles were supposed to be solid. I hope Sarah won’t be cursing me too much. It’s been great to be able to contribute in a small way to some of these wonderful charities. Not forgetting its also a good excuse to meet up and eat cake too!