For a long time I’ve been wondering about getting a new roman blind in our dining room. The one there was wicker, heavy, ugly and kind of useless. I have a friend who makes roman blinds and after a bit of a chat about prices I decided that as a fairly capable sewist I really could and should make it myself.

After Christmas I noticed that Craftsy had a sale on some of their sewing classes, so I jumped at the chance and bought this roman blind course. It was a great help and very clear. I’m sure I could have got by with you tube clips and blog tutorials but as there are as many different ways to make a roman blind as there are to make a Christmas cakes, I felt I wanted a proper class. There is also a very help Q&A section with questions answered by the teacher herself and she’s very quick to respond, which is handy when you are in a panic!

The craftsy tutorial taught me the proper way to do it – with hand-sewn hems. I did stray from the instructions and add in rod pocket tape – which eliminates the need to hand sew all the rings on.  I will use this again next time but now I know that you need to sew through to the front fabric too. With a big heavy blind it doesn’t fold up properly otherwise – so quite a lot of time was spent hand-tacking through to the front fabric as it was too late to get it under the sewing machine once the rods were in.

Beginners mistakes aside I’m thrilled with the results – it’s straight and it works!

I have lots more blinds that need making, so there may be further instalments to this adventure!




A note on fabric – I used a linen/cotton mix for this blind but it’s not the easiest fabric to work with. Next time I will go for a more crisp cotton which holds it’s shape more easily.


Hoo hoo!

Some good friends of ours recently had their second baby and of course I jumped at the chance to sew them something. After a bit of head scratching I decided on something decorative. I’d seen some lovely ideas for embroidery hoops in this months Love Patchwork & Quilting Magazine.
With my new found skill of paper piecing I opted to make this cute little owl which I found the pattern for on craftsy.

He was a little fiddly in places (especially those feet!) and certainly stretched my skills! Getting the back tidy involved lots of double sided tape, not really my cup of tea but I persisted! I re-sized the pattern a bit smaller but needn’t have as he fitted fine. Leaving it bigger would have made it easier!
I was totally thrilled with him and really wanted to keep him. I’d love to make more. I think they’d make great Christmas gifts.