Blinding

For a long time I’ve been wondering about getting a new roman blind in our dining room. The one there was wicker, heavy, ugly and kind of useless. I have a friend who makes roman blinds and after a bit of a chat about prices I decided that as a fairly capable sewist I really could and should make it myself.

After Christmas I noticed that Craftsy had a sale on some of their sewing classes, so I jumped at the chance and bought this roman blind course. It was a great help and very clear. I’m sure I could have got by with you tube clips and blog tutorials but as there are as many different ways to make a roman blind as there are to make a Christmas cakes, I felt I wanted a proper class. There is also a very help Q&A section with questions answered by the teacher herself and she’s very quick to respond, which is handy when you are in a panic!

The craftsy tutorial taught me the proper way to do it – with hand-sewn hems. I did stray from the instructions and add in rod pocket tape – which eliminates the need to hand sew all the rings on.  I will use this again next time but now I know that you need to sew through to the front fabric too. With a big heavy blind it doesn’t fold up properly otherwise – so quite a lot of time was spent hand-tacking through to the front fabric as it was too late to get it under the sewing machine once the rods were in.

Beginners mistakes aside I’m thrilled with the results – it’s straight and it works!

I have lots more blinds that need making, so there may be further instalments to this adventure!

IMG_9861

IMG_9865

IMG_9863

A note on fabric – I used a linen/cotton mix for this blind but it’s not the easiest fabric to work with. Next time I will go for a more crisp cotton which holds it’s shape more easily.

Roman blind

I made this blind months ago with a few school-mum friends. It has been waiting for my husband to get his drill out (!). After one false start when I couldn’t find the screws I’d bought, it is finally up!

My friend Julia had a bit of experience making roman blinds, so said she’d give us a tutorial.I had no idea it would involve such a lot of mathematical gymnastics! I’m really pleased with the results and glad it hangs straight (the rod pockets certainly aren’t!)

I’d love to make more for other parts of the house but may need another lesson in working out all the measurements before that.

20121027-124149.jpg