Glove-tastic

As christmas as now happened I can reveal my makes for this year. Now that I’m working 2 days a week at my son’s school, I was modest in what I attempted. I decided on a job-lot of oven gloves – 7 pairs in total.

They are a great gift. Who doesn’t need a new pair of oven gloves?! I used this tutorial inspired by the ones that Mary made a while back.

I used canvas on the decorative sides and lined the hand pockets with some light weight denim. On the ‘hot’ sides I used more heavy weight denim. Inside is regular cotton batting and some insulbrite wadding which is especially heat resistant.

I started out thinking I’d hand finish the binding on the backs of the oven gloves but soon realised this was way too tough to sew by hand. So I had to unpick a few lots of binding to re-sew them from the back to the front (top stitching along the front of the binding to finish). Even though this was a pain it gave a nice neat edge and saved my poor fingers!

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/6a7/41254634/files/2014/12/img_9587.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/6a7/41254634/files/2014/12/img_9238.jpg

The other make this Christmas was an apron for my Dad – which he requested. He lives in France for half the year and is chief barbecue-er. I was thrilled when he asked me to sew him something. No tutorial for this – I used denim and cut out a large apron shape using one I had as a template. I bound the edges and added a lined front pocket. I hope to get a pic of him wearing it!

There was also a bit of unplanned festive sewing in the form of a table runner. I had bought some christmas fabric in the January sales, which was a very welcome find in December. I used this tutorial and a fair amount of winging it. It’s been a great addition to our Christmas clobber.

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/6a7/41254634/files/2014/12/img_9462.jpg

Advertisements

Last Christmas…..

I made a pledge to sew a quilt with my daughter. We needed two jelly rolls, one for her and one for me.

She chose the lovely Bluebird park fabric line and I had a Little Apples jelly roll in my cupboard. We used this quick and easy tutorial on the fat quarter shop blog.

It’s taken all year but I’m very proud that Ellen has done most of the work herself. All I helped with was some of the rotary cutting, basting and binding.
She got frustrated at times and it spent quite a few months untouched when sewing all the blocks together was just too boring.

Here she is snuggled up in it and on location in the new forest when we went away a few weekends ago.

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/6a7/41254634/files/2014/12/img_9286.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/6a7/41254634/files/2014/12/img_9460.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/6a7/41254634/files/2014/12/img_9457.jpg

She quilted along the seams with a wavy line stitch on my machine, set to its maximum width and length. This made things simple as there were no straight lines to keep straight!
My quilt – it is still waiting to be basted. It will definitely be finished by next christmas!